Friends Around The World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Friends Around The World

This website is for all of my friends around the world, & it's only in English

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Lionesses roar as Asians crash

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Alyosha
Friend
Friend
Alyosha

Number of posts : 75
Registration date : 2008-02-24

Lionesses roar as Asians crash Empty
PostSubject: Lionesses roar as Asians crash   Lionesses roar as Asians crash Icon_minitimeSat Nov 15, 2008 11:35 am

Korea DPR have been left to fly the flag for Asia after a dramatic day in Hamilton that saw Japan and Korea Republic crash out at the hands of England and USA respectively.

England displayed some typical fighting spirit to thwart Japanese hopes of an all-Asian semi-final with Korea DPR, twice coming from behind to prevail on penalties and continue their progress at the FIFA U-17 Women's World Cup New Zealand 2008.

Joining them in the last four are USA, who confirmed their consistency and status in the women's game by easing past Korea Republic at the Waikato Stadium, Hamilton.

The big game
Japan 2-2 England (aet - England win 5-4 on penalties)

Japan's imperious form in the group phase had many people tipping them to progress to the semis with ease, particularly with England having toiled in their final group match against Asian opposition in Korea Republic. Lois Fidler's tenacious side made light of the odds, however, refusing to buckle against the Asian favourites and earning reward for their unshakeable belief with a place in the last four.

It had all started so well for the Young Nadeshiko when Mana Iwabuchi delightfully set up Chinatsu Kira for the opening goal after only eight minutes. Hiroshi Yoshida's gifted charges continued to carve out the first-half opportunities only to be let down by some sloppy finishing, while the English made up for their technical inferiority with some old-fashioned grit and determination, complemented by occasional moments of genuine quality. Lucy Staniforth produced one such moment with a firm, precise drive on the stroke of half-time and although Iwabuchi restored Japan's lead with just ten minutes remaining, Isobel Christiansen's late, late wonder goal took the tie into extra time.

It was all decided from the spot and after England keeper Lauren Davey had denied Natsumi Kameoka, Gemma Bonner coolly converted a textbook winning kick to take the battling Lionesses through.

The other game
While it was asking too much of USA and Korea Republic to match the fireworks served up in the early kick-off, the Americans created a little bit of history as they set up a semi-final date with Germany, maintaining their country's record of always reaching the last four in FIFA women's competitions.

Courtney Verloo's opportunistic early and a delightful goal from Kristie Mewis set the USA on the way to semi-final number 13, with Verloo and Vicki DiMartino adding to the tally to ensure that Hyun Young Lee's second-half double counted for little.

The player
Isobel Christiansen (ENG)
England were on the brink of elimination when the tireless midfielder took one look from 35 yards and fired a memorable shot into the top corner of the Japanese net to take a dramatic tie into extra time. Yet it was difficult to decide what was the more impressive: Christiansen's 40-yard thunderbolt or her steadfast refusal to accept defeat.

What they said
"I've no idea where that one came from! I just shouted to Dan to set it back to me and I remember thinking: 'Well, this is either going to go in the stands or in the back of the net'. I've never scored a goal like it, I'm not exactly known for my goalscoring, but as soon as I made contact I was like 'It's in! It's in!' And the feeling when it hit the back of the net was just amazing,"
England's Isobel Christiansen relives her late equaliser.

All the results
Japan 2-2 England (aet - England win 5-4 on penalties)
Korea Republic 2-4 USA
Back to top Go down

Lionesses roar as Asians crash
Page 1 of 1