Friends Around The World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Friends Around The World

This website is for all of my friends around the world, & it's only in English

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Giggs: We can do the double

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Elie
Admin
Admin
Elie

Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2007-08-13

Giggs: We can do the double Empty
PostSubject: Giggs: We can do the double   Giggs: We can do the double Icon_minitimeThu May 01, 2008 9:33 am

Giggs: We can do the double 361237752

Last week, Ryan Giggs sat down at Manchester United's Carrington training ground to conduct a different kind of interview with FIFA's Official Website. For the first time ever, all of the questions came from you - the site's users.

We received hundreds, if not thousands, of questions for the wing wizard, who is currently United's longest serving and most decorated player. In just five games' time, he will also overtake Sir Bobby Charlton as the club's record appearance holder.

In the end, we selected 20 questions to ask the 34-year-old, who is currently preparing for the second instalment of United's UEFA Champions League semi-final against Barcelona. With the Premier League title also up for grabs, the chat came as a welcome distraction for the Welshman, who was happy to discuss his past, present and future.

adam89: Who did you idolise when you were growing up?
Ryan Giggs:
Well, I've always been a Manchester United fan and when I was growing up Bryan Robson was the captain, so I'd have to say that he was my idol. I've always admired him.

Youssef: How did you come to sign for Manchester United? Is it true that Sir Alex Ferguson came round to your house?
Yes, it's true. I was at [Manchester] City for two years, but being a United fan, I jumped at the chance. One day, I was running home from my friend's house, I turned the corner and saw his big Mercedes. I'd forgotten he was coming. In fact, it was the one and only time he's ever let me off with being late!

Abdul1979: In what ways has the game changed from when you started playing?
The pace of the game has increased and the media scrutiny has got more intense. Aside from that, not too much really.

yasinallam: What does a young player need to do to make it as far as you have done? What do I have to do to be like you?
You have to practice regularly and listen to your coaches. Lead a disciplined life off the pitch - and never lose sight of your dream, but make sure that you always enjoy your football.

poconoslim: If you had to credit one or two things for your fitness and longevity, what would it/they be?
I'd have to say that it was my desire, combined with a healthy lifestyle.

guardado17: You've played with a lot of great players but which one did you enjoy playing with the most?
Eric Cantona. He brought an extra dimension to the team. Plenty of things he tried didn't come off, but you remember the ones that did: the flicks, the outrageous lobs. He made things look easy that weren't easy at all. Before him, we struggled to score as a team, but as soon as he arrived the goals flowed.

zzvalenciazz: Who do you think is the best player in the world right now?
Cristiano Ronaldo, and thankfully he plays for us! The reason? Well, he can do things that no other footballer can do.

freako: What do you make of a famous quote from Alessandro Del Piero saying: "This is embarrassing to say but I have cried twice in my life watching a football player; the first one was Roberto (Baggio) and the second was Ryan Giggs"?
For someone who I have admired for a long time, it's a great honour to hear him say that.

Tunafish79: Who's your hero outside of football?
Nelson Mandela. I've been fortunate enough to meet him a couple of times. He was really clued up on his football and he knew me, so that was just unbelievable. It really stuck with me.

HereWeGo1974: Which teams do you most look forward to playing against due to rivalry, nostalgia, or just the sheer challenge?
It would have to be Liverpool at Anfield.

jason10: What's been the best moment of your career so far?
Making my debut for Manchester United and for Wales.

seharish: How does it feel to have won nine league titles?
It's great, but it's not really something that I dwell on. I'll enjoy it a lot more when I've finished.

ric4358: How would you compare the current Manchester United team to the 1999 team that won the treble?
It's similar in the sense that both squads had a lot of strength in depth, but this team is a little bit younger than the 1999 team, so we've probably got the chance to play together for a little bit longer. This group of players are on a par, but you're judged on what you win.

Mojoman: What's United's secret to maintain a high level season after season?
It's desire, combined with a fear of failure. Obviously, we've always had quality players since the Premier League began, but we've also had excellent coaches to maximise our potential during that time as well.

mofaye: How do you see the Premier League and Champions League shaping up. Can you win both competitions?
We're well capable of winning both, but you need to be determined and have a little bit of luck. We've definitely got the determination, hopefully the luck will follow, and we'll be successful at the end of the season.

Y2CaSh: What is your personal favourite of all your goals you have ever scored?
It has to be the goal in the FA Cup semi-final against Arsenal in the season that we won the treble (1998/99).

anousa111: Did you have the opportunity of playing for England at senior level?
No, I didn't!

Toffeeman: How do you feel when you're described as one of the greatest players never to have played at the World Cup? Do you have any regrets?
Well, the World Cup is special. Your first memory of football as a boy is the World Cup, but I can't complain at all. I've had a good career - and I wouldn't swap it for anyone else's.

redcantona: After your career with Manchester United is over, would you consider playing at a lower level?
No, I don't think so. I would like to end my career at United.

Demigod: Could you see yourself moving into coaching when you hang up your boots?
I am in the middle of doing my badges, but at the moment I am focused on playing football. I really don't know what I will do when I finish. At the minute, I prefer the idea of coaching. Doing the badges, I was coaching the reserves and the schoolboys at United. I really enjoyed it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.elie.co.uk

Giggs: We can do the double
Page 1 of 1