Friends Around The World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Friends Around The World

This website is for all of my friends around the world, & it's only in English

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Final four's eyes on the prize

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Rafael
Friend
Friend
Rafael

Number of posts : 75
Registration date : 2008-06-25

Final four's eyes on the prize Empty
PostSubject: Final four's eyes on the prize   Final four's eyes on the prize Icon_minitimeSat Nov 15, 2008 11:28 am

Of the 16 teams that began this FIFA U-17 Women's World Cup 2008, only four remain. Korea DPR, England, Germany and USA are now only one win away from a coveted place in the final. The semi-final losers will have to console themselves with a third-place play-off.

In the first semi, Korea DPR face England in an unexpected first-ever meeting between the two sides. The other features usual suspects Germany and USA in a clash that promises to be quite a spectacle for the crowd at QEII Park in Christchurch.

Match of the day
Germany-USA, 13 November, 19.00 local time, Christchurch

While Germany cruised through the group stage, the young Americans had to battle all the way. Ralf Peter's side were guaranteed a spot in the knockout stages after two matches. Kazbek Tambi's charges, in contrast, were indebted to some fine saves from keeper Taylor Vancil in the closing minutes of their final match against France to stay in the competition. Neither side were greatly troubled in their quarter-final wins over Canada and Korea Republic respectively.

This is a classic encounter between the top two ranked teams in the world, who have met 22 times at senior level. It will also pit two of the best young players in the world against each other: Germany's Dzsenifer Marozsan and American Kristie Mewis.

Other match
Korea DPR-England, 13 November, 16.00 local time, Christchurch

England will be happy in the underdog role, having consistently upset the odds throughout the tournament. Yet the stats would point to a victory for Ri Un Ham girls. At U-20 and U-17 level, the Koreans have a record of eight wins, two draws and no defeats at global tournaments. The AFC champions drew 1-1 with Germany at the group stage and thumped Denmark 4-0 in the quarter-final.

The English squad will feel they have a good chance nonetheless, especially after edging through the group stage and then knocking out huge favourites Japan, who most experts predicted would at least make the final. Lois Fidler's team are well marshalled at the back by Lucy Bronze, and are dangerous when shooting from distance.

The stat
7 - the number of times Germany and USA have met at the semi-final stage of a FIFA women's competition. The USA currently lead 5-2. Remarkably, the winner of these semi-final clashes has always gone on to lift the trophy.

What they said
"We have great respect for Germany. I hope we do our best and give our all. Whether we win or lose, I know I'll be proud of my players," Kazbek Tambi, USA coach.

The match schedule
Christchurch, 13 November
Korea DPR-England (16.00)
Germany-USA (19.00)
Back to top Go down

Final four's eyes on the prize
Page 1 of 1